Thursday, October 30, 2008

Big Sky Country: Scenery

I have just remembered that I didn't ever finish blogging about Clay's trip to Montana in September. Wow! That's a "senior moment" -- how embarrassing. I had the photos all ready and everything. Now I've forgotten what Clay told me to say about each of them. (Maybe I should wake him up and ask him to describe them to me again? No, that's a bad idea. I'll just guess, and he can correct me later.)

The mountains in the distance are "Pilot" and "Index" -- these are Clay's favorite mountains. He takes numerous pictures of them every time he goes to Montana. We have 30 years worth of pictures of these mountains. They haven't changed much, but he still keeps taking more pictures of them. :)



Here they are a little bit closer.



(some lake in some valley from some high point above it)


Clay and Ed hiked through part of the area that ended up getting burned in 1988, the year of the huge Yellowstone fires. There isn't a trail to follow any more.



Interesting geologic feature.


Clay liked the red color of these cliffs.


Looking out from a high vantage point.



Pretty wildflowers.


He suggested that we could use this for our vacation home. I said no thanks!

The view from the family cabin out across "the meadow."



And the view looking back at the cabin (the green roof in the center of the picture).


It was nearly 10:00 p.m. when Clay took this picture. He put the camera on a tripod so he could have the shutter open for a longer period of time. It almost looks like daytime. (Notice the Big Dipper).



From the airplane on the way home.
;)

2 comments:

Mel D said...

At least now with digital cameras it's not a big deal to take pics of those mountains. Having scrapbooks full of them is definitely not as exciting.

LeAnn said...

Wow! I love the shot of the big dipper. That is really amazingly beautiful country.Thanks for posting the pictures!