Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My All-Time Favorite Hike

I've decided that the "Waterfalls Loop Trail" around Sahalie and Koosah Falls (on the McKenzie River) is my favorite hike.  I think I could do it regularly and not tire of it.  It's about the right length of hike for me to handle (approximately 3 miles); the scenery is beautiful; not too much uphill climbing; and the path is pretty good, although a little too rocky in places.  There's a lot of shade, so it stays pretty cool, and there are many places you can feel the cool mist rising from the river and waterfalls.  Very pleasant!


We parked by Koosah Falls and started the "loop" from that point.  There was plenty of water this time of year to make these waterfalls really impressive.  This was about 10:30 in the morning, taken from the east bank of the river.




This is Koosah Falls from the west bank of the river, a couple hours later.


The beautiful McKenzie River -- lots of whitewater rapids, but where the water was more still, you could see how beautifully crystal clear it was. 


I loved the icy blue color of it in many spots.  


Doesn't it make you shiver just looking at it?


We saw some of the local wildlife....


...some a little wilder than others (I've never seen a bike helmet with a mohawk).


We ventured off-trail to some fairly precarious spots in search of the best places to view and photograph the waterfalls.  In this photo, Clay is trying to get back up to safe ground, or maybe he's just becoming a "tree-hugger."


This is the beautiful Sahalie Falls.  


When we got around to the other side of Sahalie Falls, I could look back and see the tree roots going down the cliff to the side of it.  I just think it looks interesting, and maybe kinda spooky (it reminds me of something out of a Harry Potter movie, I think).


I found this amusing -- a huge fallen tree is blocking the path, and instead of removing a small portion of it, they build a staircase over it!  Of course, why not?


I loved the rainbows created in the mists from the waterfalls!


I want to do it again.  Soon!

No comments: